Your Guide to the Fredericksburg Christmas Parade
Information provided by Fredericksburg Parks & Recreation.
As people begin to gather downtown for the parade, there will be several street closures, no parking signs, delays and traffic. We ask that you please be patient, maintain the Christmas spirit and plan ahead best you can.
– Parade is rain or shine.
– Refer to the map and try to plan ahead. Consider carpooling.
– For information on where to park, refer to this webpage. Understand that the City has no control over private or residential parking lots, so please make sure you adhere to any signage from the private places. If your car is parked at a no parking zone as designated by the City, you will be towed. If this happens, please call Fredericksburg Police Headquarters at 540-373-3122 opt 1.
– For-up-to-the-minute updates on street closure updates, sign up for Fred Alert/a>.
– A live video stream of the parade begins at 5:30 p.m.
Viewing locations along the route are available on a first come, first served basis; however, this is the perfect opportunity to demonstrate some holiday cheer to your fellow parade viewers. Feel free to bring lawn chairs and/or blankets to sit on. Show a little extra kindness and courtesy to children and those with limited mobility — stay down in front so those behind you don’t miss seeing their favorite parade entry.
The parade can be viewed from the sidewalk on both sides of the street along the route. (Exception: the sidewalk in front of the new courthouse site is closed.) There will be barricades at all intersections along the parade route to keep the audience out of the street and to allow avenues for pedestrian crossing.
There will be a parade marshal at each barricaded intersection to keep these areas clear and to facilitate safe emergency crossing, and there will be a large contingent of uniformed police officers posted throughout the area.
While we all love dogs (especially those dressed up for Christmas), your dog needs to be on a leash and crowd-friendly.
First and foremost, we cannot stress enough how important carpooling is.
• Street Parking – Street parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Please do not park in any private parking lots unless you have express permission from the property owner to do so. Contracted towing companies, not the Police Department, are authorized to tow vehicles from most private lots. If you park on the street, make sure you obey all posted signage and restrictions and do not block any driveways or alleys. There will be no parking along the parade route and on some adjacent side streets beginning at 3 p.m. on the day of the parade. There will be signs in place to indicate the restrictions. The Police Department will have vehicles towed on Saturday afternoon that have not been removed from the street.
• Handicap Parking – Designated handicap parking is available in the VRE drop off lot. There are 13 spaces available. Please see parade map for location.
• Parking Garage– The city parking garage will be available for $2 per car.
• Parking Lots – Please look at the parade map for the Sophia Street parking lots that will be open.
• Parade Participants – We recommend if you are participating in the parade that you park at Dixon Park or anywhere you are able to find a spot near the parade. Please refer to the above parking options.
There will be portable restrooms at various locations around the parade route, and the permanent facilities will be available at the Visitor Center and at City Hall. Refer to the parade map for details.
The streets along the parade route and some adjacent side streets will be closed to vehicular traffic beginning at 3 p.m. on December 6. The roads will remain closed until city maintenance crews finish cleaning the route. All streets are expected to be open by 9 p.m.
Note: Sophia Street will remain open in the northbound direction only for the duration of the event.
If Your Car is Towed
If you are towed the day of the event, please call Fredericksburg Police Headquarters at 540-373-3122 option #1.
See the official parade website for more information.
Fxbg’s Comprehensive Holiday Events List
10 Holiday Celebrations December 4 – 7 [Video]
Fxbg Holiday Craft Show
Fredericksburg Christmas Parade Announces New Sponsors, Solicits Participants