Dominion Virginia Power Warns Customers of Telephone Scam
The Stafford Sheriff’s Office has received reports from citizens who recently received calls from individuals demanding fraudulent payment for an overdue Dominion Virginia Power power bill.
Dominion Virginia Power provided these tips in a media release:
• Dominion Virginia Power will never require payment over the phone, or require payment on a pre-paid debit card.
• Dominion does not direct customers to make payment at any of their offices; designated payment centers can be found online at https://www.dom.com/residential/dominion-virginia-power/customer-service/payment-options.
• If customers wish to pay their bill by phone, they are directed to BillMatrix at 1-800-573-1147. Customers will never be contacted by BillMatrix requiring payment.
• If a customer is behind on a monthly bill, they should contact Dominion to set up a mutually agreed upon payment plan. Dominion provides a customer with notifications on their bill before power is disconnected.
• If a customer is suspicious of a caller, they are encouraged to collect information including the caller’s name and any phone numbers or other details before hanging up. Then report the information to local law enforcement.
• Customers should always call Dominion at 1-866-DOM-HELP to verify that the company is attempting to reach them, before releasing any personal information.