Want to make 3D photos using your iPhone® device and post them on Facebook? Here’s how.
In late 2018, Facebook released a feature called 3D Photos. This photo feature utilizes
technology that captures the distance between a subject in the foreground and the background. 3D photos add dimension, movement, and depth to your Portrait Mode photos. Once the image is rendered as a 3D photo, it can be posted to Facebook where your friends can scroll, pan, and tilt the photo. As of April 2019, 3D Photos are now available for Facebook stories, as well as for Android devices.
Here’s how to create 3D photos using your iPhone device and the Facebook app
- Download the Facebook app to your iPhone device via the App Store. Allow the app to access your photos.
- You must “Like” the Facebook 360 page.
- Tap on the “What’s on your mind?” section to create a new post. There will be a selection of options available; select “3D photo.”
- Select the Portrait Mode photo you would like to use with the 3D Photo feature. You must take a photo using Portrait Mode (available on newer iPhone devices).
- Facebook will begin to render the 3D image and it will then be available to post directly to your Facebook page.
Create layers by photographing a subject precisely. Facebook 360 recommends that the main subject of your photo stands three to four feet away from the device. It is also recommended that the user photograph scenes with a variety of layers, depth, and dimensions.
Can I edit my 3D photo?
It is also important to note that your photos cannot be cropped; if you crop the photo, it will not upload in 3D. However, you can edit the photo – i.e., color, contrast, highlights, shadows – to really make it a work of art.
Can I create a 3D photo on my current iPhone device?
In order to create and share 3D photos on Facebook, you will need an iPhone device with dual cameras such as the iPhone 7 Plus®, iPhone 8 Plus®, iPhone X®, iPhone XS® or XS Max® devices.
If you are trying to make 3D Photos but aren’t able to because your iPhone device is too old, it’s time for an upgrade. Visit your local Experimax store to view the certified pre-owned iPhone devices we have in the store. Our local X-perts will be happy to show you the features of the different models and help you make the best choice for your budget and needs. At Experimax, the customer X-perience is a top priority – ask us about the X!
Business hours are Monday – Sunday 10 AM – 8 PM. Experimax is located at 1865-106 Carl D. Silver Parkway, Fredericksburg, VA 22401.