John J. Bowman Single Barrel Virginia Straight Bourbon wins competition
The 2022 International Wine & Spirits Competition recognized four A. Smith Bowman bourbons. The Distillery’s bourbons took home one Gold medal and four Bronze medals. Medals were awarded as follows:
Gold medal went to
- John J. Bowman Single Barrel Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Bronze medals went to
- Bowman Brothers Small Batch Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Isaac Bowman Port Barrel Finished Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- A. Smith Bowman Cask Strength Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey
“We are honored to accept these awards,” Master Distiller Brian Prewitt said. “We continually strive to produce quality spirits, and are thrilled the judges were impressed by our bourbons.”
The International Wine & Spirits Competition uses a double-blind tasting method, in which samples are tasted in pre-poured numbered glasses to ensure judges never see a bottle. Spirits are judged by a panel of world-renowned experts from across the global spirits trade, allowing for group discussion. For more information on the International Wine and Spirits Competition, visit https://www.iwsc.net/.
About A. Smith Bowman
- Smith Bowman’s distilling roots date back to the years before Prohibition when the Bowman family had a granary and dairy farm in Sunset Hills, Virginia. They used excess grain from the family estate to distill spirits. In 1934, after the Repeal of Prohibition, Abram Smith Bowman and his sons continued the family tradition and built a more modern distillery in Fairfax County, Virginia called Sunset Hills Farm. The Distillery was moved in 1988 and is now nestled in Spotsylvania County near the city of Fredericksburg, 60 miles away from the original location.
As a small and privately owned company, A. Smith Bowman Distillery continues the time-honored traditions on which it was founded. Considered a micro-distillery by today’s standards, A. Smith Bowman produces an assortment of hand-crafted spirits distilled from only the finest natural ingredients and using the latest technology. This micro-distillery focuses on the production of premium spirits honoring the legacy of Virginia’s first settlers. As Virginia’s oldest and most award-winning distillery, its various brands have earned numerous prestigious awards over the years, including John J. Bowman Single Barrel, which received a double gold medal at the 2021 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. For more information on A. Smith Bowman, please visit www.asmithbowman.com.