Catalytic converter theft continues statewide
Fredericksburg Police say there is an uptick in catalytic converter thefts across the Commonwealth, including the City of Fredericksburg.
Catalytic converters are required to make your vehicle run properly. They are expensive to replace due to the precious metals they contain.
Here are some prevention tips against catalytic converter theft:
• If you have a garage, use it. Park inside and keep all garage doors closed and locked. If not, try to park in well-lit areas, close to building entrances when possible.
• Install motion-detecting security cameras and/or motion sensor lighting.
• Calibrate your vehicle’s alarm to go off when it detects vibration.
• Etch your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on your catalytic converter.
• Consider a Catalytic Converter lock.
• Pay attention if you hear unusual sawing or wrenching noises coming from the street or parking structure.
• Park to make underneath access difficult. If you are a business with a fleet of vehicles, park lower sitting vehicles close to those with high ground clearance to help prevent access.
• Report all suspicious activity immediately to your local law enforcement agency.How will you know if your catalytic converter has been stolen?
You will know as soon as you start the engine. Your engine will make a loud roaring sound, may sputter as you increase speed, and may not drive as smoothly.